Yoga & Surf, Magic in Morocco
21st to 28th April 2018
Join Jodi Cronyn, Robin Wilkins, and Selina Streahorn for the most magical adventure in Morocco!!! Imagine yoga, surf, luxury accommodations, amazing food, camel rides, market visits, nature excursions, and massage, all with a great community! That is exactly what we have in store for you! Morocco is a beautiful country with diverse culture and so much to explore!
Here’s what’s included:
- 7 nights accommodation at Villa Shangrila
- 3 healthy meals daily
- twice daily yoga (Hatha-based in the am, yin in the pm)
- 2 days of surf (lesson and board rental included)
- day trip to Paradise Valley
- 1 massage treatment with Selina
- transfer to and from airport at designated times
- outdoor pool
- rooftop terrace
- other excursions and extra surf days available at extra cost
Pricing per person (all prices in CAD)
– $1415 for a quad room
– $1490 for a triple room
– $1565 for a double room (only 4 spots left!)
*$500 non-refundable deposit secures your spot*
*flight and travel insurance not included*
Travelling with friends? Let us know and we will do our best to make you bunk buddies!
This is a boutique retreat, only 12 spots available!
Any questions or concerns? Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to set up a time to chat.
See you soon, Morocco!!! 🇲🇦
And here’s the legal stuff we have to say (don’t let it scare you, it’s all standard stuff!). By submitting your deposit, you are agreeing that said deposit is non-refundable, and that you are responsible for your own flight and arriving in Agadir at the designated shuttle pick up time. You are also agreeing that full payment will be made by February 1, 2018. Cancellations made before December 1, 2017 will receive a full refund minus the $500CAD deposit. Cancellations between December 2, 2017 and January 21, 2018 will receive a 50% refund minus the $500CAD deposit. There will be no refunds from February 1, 2018 onwards. Please purchase travel insurance before you come. Upon booking, we will send you a list of things to pack as well as guidelines to respect the culture of Morocco while you are there.
Yoga & Surf Retreat with Liz Frost
get in touch for future dates
As the sun is setting behind the Atlas Mountains and the souks are closing shop – find yourself walking from the ocean back to your stunning oasis.
Enjoy a refreshing glass of mint tea and soft candle-lights under the African stars, sinking into a chair by the pool, you can’t help smiling about the incredible day you just had exploring with your new friends!
Explore your soul in this vast expanse of sky, desert and ocean. With daily yoga & meditation with Liz Frost, great food, new places to explore, and laughter with new friends. This is a week to try new things!
Morocco – bordering the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea – evokes images of souks and medieval maze-like streets, stretches of empty beaches, camels and caravans in stark deserts and mountains touched by Berber, Arabian and European influences.
We’ll be spending seven nights in the beautiful little Berber village of Aourir, on the Atlantic coast, enjoying the exotic culture, food, shopping, and the natural beauty of the ocean just steps from our appropriately named villa, Shangri-la. With mountains in the background, enjoying yoga on the rooftop terrace you’ll feel like you’ve found a secret oasis that only you know about.
Moroccan craftwork is stunning, the villa rooms beautifully appointed, and the atmosphere is the perfect cross between the excitement of adventure and relaxed vibes of yoga on the roof. The sun shines 300 days a year!
Shangri-La is a stunning, brand new, 3 story villa with 6 bedrooms fully equipped for your comfort: private shower and toilets (either inside or just outside the bedroom), bed linens, bath towels, air conditioning, garden, and swimming pool with mountain views from each room. You can enjoy free WIFI, throughout the house and in the garden. This is a ‘make yourself at home’ atmosphere with our host Sabine available to help make your stay whatever you want it to be.
There are small lounges on each floor with sofas and balconies, great for chilling out. On the ground floor, the open kitchen, the dining room and gathering area open onto the swimming pool and the garden.
You can walk out the door and immerse yourself in Moroccan Berber culture. Enjoy the mesmerizing souks and smells of the village or head to the ocean – a 15 minute walk from the villa.
Moroccan food is delicious! We’ll be indulged with traditional vegetarian cuisine at Shangri-La. The breads are baked fresh daily, and the dinners are slow, relaxing affairs with candlelight and magic. You’re not going to go hungry here, tempted with a variety of Middle Eastern dishes using fresh and seasonal local produce, herbs and spices: tajine, couscous, rfissa and more.
That means the creamiest hummus you can imagine, mouth-watering babaganoush (roasted eggplant), and bright salads with local produce.
The food this week will be healthy, fresh and oh so yummy! You are welcome in the kitchen for hands on cooking tips. It’s a casual atmosphere so feel free to help out, or just relax and be served – it’s up to you.
The Moroccan Hammam is traditionally a place where people go to socialize, relax and meet one another, but also to get scrubbed and cleansed in the hot baths. You will be treated to a private experience, going in pairs for your pampering. Be prepared to open your pores as your body is scrubbed with an exfoliating glove and savon noir soap (black soap made from home-grown olive oil). You will enjoy a private scrub, hot bath, get squeaky clean and fresh and then enjoy a one hour massage with local argon oil. You’ll leave feeling intensely relaxed and totally refreshed! Ahhhhh……
The area is known for it’s perfect surf conditions and this retreat is perfect for beginners. We’ll go to sheltered areas with “baby waves” to learn on. If you are already an experienced surfer, our surf instructors might take you to a different beach where you can catch some bigger waves. This is meant to be a fun introduction to surfing – don’t let the idea scare you. It’s fun just to float around on a board too!
There is no certainty or rules with the weather, but in general, very little rain or wind and mainly sunny days with blue skies is normal for September. Typical temperatures for September are: air (30°C – 40°C) and water (20°C – 25°C).
No level of physical fitness is necessary for either surfing or yoga – have fun with it all!
Ah…the delights of Marrakesh!
(It’s hard NOT to feel like Ingrid Bergman on the movie set of Casablanca!) We’ll have an optional day trip into the city to shop, explore the streets and take in the local architecture.
For sure you’ll fall in love with the Moroccan decor and there’s no way you’re going home without a piece of Morocco – whether it’s a beautiful lamp, unique textiles, a pouf, a carpet, silver jewelry, or leather goods.
- We will meet in Agadir Airport to pick up the transfer to Aourir, 40km away (about 45 minute drive)
- We’ll meet our host Sabine at Magic Surf and settle in to Villa Shangri-La – our home for the week
- From Sunday
- 7h-8h15 Yoga on the roof top terrace with ocean and mountain views
- 8h15-9H Breakfast
- 9h Head to the beach! Surf lessons in the morning of Sunday and Monday
- 12 – 13h – picnic lunch on the beach, relax, swim
- 13h – free time on the beach, or walk the village
- 15h – yoga & meditation on the beach
- 15h Sunday. Monday & Tuesday, in groups of 2 we’ll head to the hammam for pampering
- 16h – Two more people head over to the hammam
- 16h30 Return from the beach to Shangri-la and enjoy free time to relax, nap, watch the sun set
- 17h – Two more people head over to the hammam
- 19h Everyone is back at the villa and enjoy dinner by the pool
- Free time in the evening
- Saturday – head back to Agadir airport for connecting flights from Europe home
The whole schedule is subject to change if necessary, or if something intriguing comes our way, but here’s the plan for now:
Tuesday – Tafraoute day trip – we’ll leave at 9h and return by 16h to spend the day exploring the ancient town with a guide. Plan to hike the foothills and explore the town by foot. Upon return to Aourir, a couple people will have their visit to the hammam & massage.
Wednesday – is market day in Aourir – it’s close to the beach and we can walk over after lunch, back to the beach for afternoon yoga and a sunset camel ride on the beach – yup camels!
Thursday – Marrakesh day trip is an option 100€ per person for transportation, guide and dinner in the city. This is a 3 hour drive each way so we’ll be leaving Aourir by 7h30 and returning really late in the evening. It’s best to make arrangements ahead of time but you can decide on site if you want to go and let Sabine know for travel arrangements. We need a minimum of 4 ppl to go.
Friday – free day to do whatever you want. Have another massage, hammam or book surfing, SUP, beach day, horseback riding, cycling, or a day trip to nearby towns; our host Sabine will help you arrange whatever you want to do.
ABOUT LIZ FROST:
Liz Frost is the owner of Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre and has been teaching yoga and meditation for over 15 years, facilitating and hosting group retreats for over 12 years. She is an avid traveler and loves to explore new places. She is not a surfer (more like Bambi on Ice) but game to try anything!
Liz teaches yoga as a form of mindfulness meditation, believing you don’t need to be sitting still and cross legged in order to be mindful.
- Quad room with 4 twin beds & ensuite washroom 750€ per person – 4 spaces available
- Triple room with 3 twin beds & ensuite washroom 750€ per person – 3 spaces available
- Twin room with ensuite washroom 800 € / per person – 6 spaces available in 3 rooms
- No private rooms are available and space is limited to 13 ppl.
- Let us know about any special needs or requests and we’ll do what we can to accommodate you.
- If you want to arrive early or stay beyond the retreat you can make arrangements with Sabine directly.
Your Retreat includes:
- an incredible opportunity to get in touch with your soul, relax and hit the reset button on life
- adventures with new sights and sounds everyday
- 7 Nights accommodation
- 7 Breakfasts with all you need to kick off a great day!
- 6 or 7 delicious dinners at Villa Shangri-La. Dinners out at local restaurants are not included, and dinner in Marrakesh is included in the day trip cost of 100 € if you choose to take that optional day trip, otherwise have dinner at Shangri-la
- 2 Picnic lunches (fresh salads & sandwiches, fruits and water) at the beach
- 3-5 lunches at the villa – depending on time of arrival Sept 16 and participation in day trips
- 2 mornings surfing Sept 17 & 18 – lessons of 2.5 to 3 hours
- Teaching from fully qualified surf instructors
- 2 half days surf equipment hire (board and wetsuit)
- Transport to and from the surf spot
- 10 (at least) yoga classes with Liz
- All yoga equipment
- 1 hour Traditional Moroccan Hammam
- 1 hour Argan oil massage
- Camel ride on the beach – 1 sunset ride
- day trip excursion to Tafroute with a guide and transportation – lunch is not included that day
- Flights – check here for options, flying to Europe is recommended and then transfer to Agadir
- Airport transfers – can be arranged via Magic Surf and a group rate of 20€ from Agadir is possible
- Alcoholic beverages
- Travel insurance
- Pocket money
- Lunch on day trip to Tafroute and Marrakesh, lunch is available at the villa if you do not go on the day trips
- Marrakesh day trip is 100€ payable to Sabine on site if you choose to go
- Extra days of surfing are 60€ per half day and can be arranged on site as you wish (min 3 ppl required)
- Meals outside of the surf & yoga retreat venue
- Beach towel
Guests must provide proof of travel insurance that covers surfing and repatriation. We decline all responsibilities in case of accident or breakage and/or loss of surf equipment. The surf equipment, including wet suits and boards is lent to guests, so in case of lose or breakage, you will be charged a fee.